And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea:and the third part of the sea became blood; And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed. And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters; And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.
Revelation 8:8-11 KJV
In recent years we’ve had two unprecedented (to my knowledge) disasters in the oceans: the BP Oil Spill (started April 2010) in the Gulf of Mexico, and the Fukushima radiation leakage (March 11, 2011). Sure, we’ve had oil spills before, but not like this. And yes, we’ve also had nuclear disasters before (ie Chernobyl), but again, not like this.
Are a third of the waters becoming “bitter” to the point that many men are dying? Are these events at least a partial fulfillment of the verses in Revelation above? In the passage, it references the rivers and the “fountains of waters,” and these two disasters are ocean (seas) based. Is there a connection? I don’t know – I’m just pointing things out here.
I believe that the book of Revelation, being prophecy, is fulfilled on several different levels. I believe it effectively lays out history as we’ve known if for the past 2000 years since Christ, plus I believe it speaks of events that are best perceived spiritually in the last days, and I also believe that it has a physical interpretation as well. For instance, the seas refer to the spiritual life of man, and an interpretation along these lines is meaningful. Mountains are spiritual powers, and so a huge demonic power thrown into the sea of man’s spiritual life would necessarily pollute and poison the spiritual life of the people. Interestingly, if you want to join the cloud of witnesses, you must evaporate (be saved) out of the sea of human spirituality… There is much more that could be said along these lines, but I don’t really want to get into it here. The reason for the post is the third possible interpretation of Revelation – the physical signs in the world around us. Is that what we’re beginning to see happening around the world today?
Read the links and draw your own conclusions – I’d love to hear them in the comments below. The list of links below is far from conclusive, but rather just a sampling to get you thinking. If you know of others that bring out another aspect of the story, please post them in the comments below and I will include them.
Radiation in the Pacific:
- Unprecedented: Sockeye salmon at dire historic low on Canada’s Pacific coast — “We think something happened in the ocean” — “The elders have never seen anything like this at all” — Alaska and Russia also affected
- 10 billion becquerels a day of cesium-137 was flowing into the Pacific from Fukushima
- More than 1400 baby sea lions died off California’s coast (April 2013)
- Up to 70% of newborn sea lions may be dying
- Largest krill die-off ever recorded (July, 2013)
- Radiation From Japan Is Already Killing North Americans (April 2013)
- Radiation Has Already Killed 14,000+ in North America (April 2013)
- Radiation To Hit North America’s West Coast Hard
- 100% Bluefin Tuna Tested in California Carry Fukushima Radiation
- Contaminated Tuna, Salmon, and Herring
- 28 Signs the West Coast Is Becoming Fried By Radiation
- 98% of part of the Pacific Ocean covered in dead sea life
Here’s a good collection of more links, for the curious.
Interestingly, the Pacific ocean covers approximately one third of the earth’s surface, according to Wikipedia.